About the Club

Where I can nerd about film, books, and life. Lots of random insanity as well as actual discussion about what I love most - movies. Feel free to join in any discussion or drop me a line at mortenavida@gmail.com.

Friday, June 17, 2011

June Week 2: Pear Harbor

Pear Harbor had both the good and bad fortune of coming out before 9/11. Good because they didn't have to spend millions of dollars fixing things that would "hurt the American people more" (or some other load of BS that happened to movies like Spiderman and Die Hard when those came out close to the date). Bad because after 9/11, nobody wanted to see a movie about America getting her ass handed to her even if we end up kicking ass in the end.

As I watched the movie (again -- I do like it), I read through trivia and goofs and other nerdy nonsense. Despite the fact that critics didn't care for it, Michael Bay got a lot of letters telling him that he got the mood of before and after the attack. Honestly, I think that's what he was aiming for. Sometimes, a movie isn't all about being a blockbuster (though ever director wishes).

For people who just like action, the first part of the movie is difficult to get through. It's filled with the romantic aspect, forming relationships, and the general care-free lifestyle of people at the time. Once you get to the second half, you hit the war and the fighting and the "manly-ness" of it. Me? I enjoyed both. Give me explosions behind a kiss any day!

There are plenty of inaccuracies throughout the film, but it is not a documentary. Consider the ending when the Doolittle raid occurs. From what I read (and correct me if I'm wrong; I wasn't alive during this time, obviously), nobody died in the air. It all occurred on the ground and with things like malnutrition. Do you really want to watch that in a movie? Or would you rather see the Japanese fighting back and the Americans escaping while kicking some ass? Give me the ass-kicking, please.

That's all my opinion for now. Still trying to decide what to watch for next week.

4 comments:

  1. It wasn't a bad movie really.

    People have tolerated other movies historical inaccuracies and I don't see why this one should be any different. "The Great Escape" and "Bridge on the River Kwai" were full of inaccuracies and they are considered classics.

    This came out during a time when it was cool to hate Ben Affleck too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike Affleck (lulz, Aflack) like any other person, but I think he did a decent job in this one. When he was crying, I believed he was crying. When he was happy, I believed he was happy. He's not my favorite emotion-actor, but he nailed it in this.

    I'd take him over Cage any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really dislike Aflack (lol), I don't enjoy all his movies, but I don't hate him. Just remember he rocked in "Phantoms" (Jay & Silent Bob reference).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Japanese attack on an Amerian triangle- Zzzzz! THAT is what ruined the flick. The inaccuracies were large, stupid and hard to get over- Pearl Harbor was attacked just before dawn...on top of the many other fallacies.

    If the movie had been well made, fine, but it was sloppy, corny and lazy for the most part when it did not deserve it.

    ReplyDelete