About the Club

Where I can nerd about film, books, and life. Lots of random insanity as well as actual discussion about what I love most - movies. Feel free to join in any discussion or drop me a line at mortenavida@gmail.com.

Friday, June 10, 2011

June Week 1

Since I just started this and I had planned on doing my posting on Friday/Saturday, I figured that I might as well just blab on about the latest movie I watched (since that would, generally, be what I most remembered). I don't remember watching anything on television movie-wise since a few days ago, so Netflix it was.

And no, before anyone asks, I am not embarrassed about my movie choices. I watched The Suite Life Movie (staring Cole and Dylan Sprouse).

As far as Disney Channel Original Movies go, this one was not that bad. It was based off of a television series they had (The Suite Life of Zach and Cody followed by The Suite Life on Deck), so the characters were already well known and pretty much lovable. I watch this show, but only because one of my roommates constantly has the television set on the Disney Channel (and we all, at one point in time, worked at Disney; yes, we're nerds). Still, it is enough that I know pretty much every kind of relationship issue that has gone on throughout the series.

This movie focuses on their last spring break before graduation. Cody and Bailey (love interest) had made plans to do a while bunch of science-nerd stuff while on shore. Cody instead decides to take an internship opportunity (we'll ignore the fact that these are rarely, if ever, a week-long thing) at a marine biology center in order to get a scholarship to Yale (where his sweetheart wants to go). Bailey takes it wrong, doesn't hear the whole story, and thus they're again in a fight in the first ten minutes of the movie.

For some reason that was never explained (plot device!), Zach goes along with Cody to the center. He sees a cute girl and goes off to chase her while his brother remains clueless. Zach manages, again, to ruin everything by breaking a sea wall and destroying plenty of things. The most important thing is his brother's scholarship.

At this point in time, the movie is all believable. Why? Because I do live with identical twins (which Zach and Cody are, for those who haven't seen the show) and this is pretty much how they act when they're angry at each other. They ignore, they fight, and then spread blame about. (Girls, if you're reading this, I love you! But it's so true, even if your fights don't last as long.)

After that, Zach finds a way to get Cody back into some form of Yale scholarship and they go into a new research center called Project Gemini where a man is studying twins. They eat a weird fruit and suddenly can feel everything the other feels. Then they eat more and they feel every emotion the other feels. Then they uncover a secret plot that'll take their souls and mash them into one person.

Yeah, I'm not a science person, so I'll go with that.

Bailey eventually finds a letter Cody wrote explaining everything so she goes to try and apologize. They don't find him at the center and oh no! They're in danger, let's go save them! But really, their friends don't do anything -- the twins pretty much save themselves by fighting. AKA, they reject the soul-mashing. That breaks the computers and everything falls apart and it's (oh-so-shockingly) revealed that the biology center doctor and the creepy Gemini doctor are twins and both jealous of each other. Yeah. Didn't see that coming. Especially when they show a creepy guy basically stalking the twins before they get to the Gemini area.

The bad graphics and typical happy ending aside, it isn't a bad movie. I wouldn't buy it, but I might watch it if nothing else were on television. I'm sure no one watching this blog right now has seen it, but movies are movies!

Now just to decide what to do for "foreign week." And I don't just mean "in a different language" for this -- I mean just considered (for myself as an American) a foreign country film. I'm thinking Dear Frankie, but I'm not sure. Lay it on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment