About the Club

Where I can nerd about film, books, and life. Lots of random insanity as well as actual discussion about what I love most - movies. Feel free to join in any discussion or drop me a line at mortenavida@gmail.com.

Saturday, July 02, 2011

Life Attacks; Children of Men

I missed last week (shame on me) and I pretty much missed this week (double shame on me). So now I'm going to woe into my corner and punish myself.

Kidding, not really. I just haven't had the time lately to sit down with the movie I intended to see. Instead, I watched Children of Men and hit a small snag in my weeks. I'm going to up that one to this week and do a small rantage on it really quick. Mostly because I couldn't simply enjoy this movie as a movie.

First off, I don't look at actor lists until I'm at least half an hour into a movie. I like to try and get surprised as far as who shows up. For some reason, I was expecting Gerard Butler (don't ask, I saw one trailer years ago and have had him in my head since) instead of Clive Owen. I was a tad disappointed at myself for that one, but the world moves on. I, of course, spent the rest of the movie trying to figure out whether or not Butler would have done any better of a job before realizing that he would have just been some epic eye-candy for people. He is probably the only actor I will watch for eye-candy (and I admit it).

Moving on. I did not like the character of Kee at all. I felt she delivered her lines flatly and she didn't have the right emotion for 90% of the movie. Every time she spoke, I cringed and then wanted to know who was holding up giant poster boards with her lines on them. It just didn't seem real to me. For a movie this big (or they hoped to be big), hiring new-ish actors are a hit or miss. Clare-Hope Ashitey had only been in one film before Children of Men and maybe she needed a bit more experience before playing such a role.

There is also a book this movie is based off of and I'm adding it to my list to read. Mostly because there are just so many differences. Who carries the child, how things happen; I can't wait to see the differences.

And is it just me or does Alfonso Cuaron mess up every book adaptation he does? Because he did a horrible job with Prisoner of Azkaban.

No comments:

Post a Comment